SDF leader Kobani says Turkey violates ceasefire deal in northeast Syria

Mazloum Kobani, the commander in chief of the previously U.S.-backed Kurdish forces in Syria said on Friday Turkey had been violating ceasefire in northeast Syria and killed several Syrian Kurdish militias.

Following Turkish incursion in northeast Syria, targetting the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and the People's Protection Units (YPG), Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan struck two separate deals in October, with Russian President Vladimir Putin and U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, with both agreeing the YPG would withdraw at least 30 kilometres from the Turkish border.

In return, Ankara agreed to pause its military offensive.

"Turks and their jihadist proxies keep attacking NE Syria and taking more territory every hour. After the ceasefire agreement made with US officials @VP directed by @POTUS, 182 of our comrades and tens civilians were martyred, 30k civilians were displaced, 1100 km² was occupied," Kobani said on Twitter.

Both Ankara and the Kurds have accused each other of violating the ceasefire.

"From our side we abided to all ceasefire agreement commitments to protect our people from killing and displacement," the SDF commander said.

U.S. Senator for Maryland Chris Van Hollen on Oct. 26 said Turkey was attacking Kurdish forces outside the designated safe zone, violating the ceasefire agreement between Ankara and Russia.

Meanwhile, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar on Thursday said Kurdish forces had not fully withdrawn from the region as agreed in a Russia-brokered accord.

https://twitter.com/MazloumAbdi/status/1192851684193685504